Electronics Design Engineer - UAV
At Animal Dynamics we are developing a unique intelligent miniature surveillance drone (hardware and software), based on flapping wing technology inspired by dragonfly flight.
Due to the size and weight requirements, the hardware design needs to be very efficient, compact and more importantly light. The vehicle electronics need to address requirements in wireless data communication, video data capture/streaming and on board algorithm processing.
As Electronics Design Engineer you will be responsible for new product development from initial concept through design release and ongoing life cycle maintenance. Design applications typically involve low power / battery powered microprocessor based electronics with integrated 900 MHz, 2.4 GHz, Wi-Fi or BLE modular transmitters. Devices are typically used for the collection, processing and re-retransmission of data from a variety of serial and SPI interfaces, including digital cameras.
Prior experience in bringing a product from concept to production is essential including interpreting sales and marketing requirements, defining specifications prototyping, component selection and validation testing. Experience with embedded software programming in C is a big bonus.
You will have the following responsibilities:
- Design of electronic boards: schematic entry, design for manufacturability, component selection, design for EMI/RFI and signal/power integrity
- Conduct research, assessment and selections of components for designs and prototypes
- Circuit design with embedded microcontrollers
- Board bring-up and debugging, fault finding and use of laboratory equipment
- Document relevant design details and test results
- Software development for embedded microcontrollers, including low level drivers is a big bonus
- Bill of material management and liaison with CEMs and certification test houses
- 7+ years’ experience in electronics development with a focus on low power microcontrollers
- Experience with multilayer PCBs and designing with high-speed processors
- Familiarity with I2C, UART, ZigBee/WiFi, MIPI or other high-speed serial links
- Low power/battery powered electronics design, including power usage optimisation
- Experience developing wireless products and understanding of RF networks
- Experience with up-to-date schematic/layout electronics design CAD tools
- Experience in the UAV industry is preferred but not essential
- Embedded software and RTOS application design experience is a definite bonus
- Familiarity with test equipment: oscilloscope, logic analyser, debug port, emulator
- Familiar with designing for EMI/EMC a plus
- Prior experience with RF OEM module integration is a plus
- Be an innovative thinker and genuine problem solver with entrepreneurial mindset
- Be capable of taking full design ownership
- A self-starter, with minimal oversight needed to complete assignments
- Highly self-motivated, proactive and communicative with a passion for electronics engineering
- Be educated to degree level or higher from a respected university
- Salary: very competitive, dependent on experience
- EMI share options scheme
- Paid holiday package
- Pension scheme
All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.
We are based at Begbroke Science Park, Oxford where this role will be based too.
If this sounds like the role for you please send us your CV using the apply button below.